Vegan Cheese Ravioli
Raviolis have a rich history over the last 600 years, and now they've been "veganized"! This recipoe may be one of our more complex kitchen creations, but nothing beats homemade pasta. These raviolis are filled with a creamy smooth vegan ricotta made with NOOCH IT! Cashew Grated Cheeze, but the sky is the limit with what you might want to use as fillings.
- 2 cups flour + 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (for color)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup vegan NOOCH IT! ricotta cheese (recipe below)
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup vegan parmesan shreds or mozzarella (Alternately, the recipe works well with just the ricotta)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 12 oz extra firm tofu (drained)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 3-4 tbsp NOOCH IT! Cashew Grated Cheeze
- 1/4 cup plant-based butter of your choice
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
Garlic Butter Sauce
NOOCH IT! Ricotta Filling
- Puree all above “NOOCH IT! Ricotta” ingredients in a food processor until well combined and smooth.
- The ricotta is ready when you can press the mixture into a ball with your hands.
- In stand mixer (or large bowl) combine the flour and salt, with the mixer on add your olive oil and water. Mix until combined.
- Switch to dough hook and knead for 5 minutes adding a little bit more flour if the dough gets to sticky or water if the dough is too dry. (The dough should not be sticky when it’s done and should feel like play-dough. If you don’t have a stand mixer you can just knead with your hands until you get the constancy of play dough.)
- Cut dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Let dough rest for 40 mins.
- Meanwhile to make the filling, combine vegan ricotta cheese, vegan parmesan, dried basil, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cut your dough into pieces that will fit into your pasta machine/attachment and pass it through until preferred thickness about 1/8 inch thick. Lightly flouring your pasta sheets as needed. (If you don’t have a pasta machine/attachment you can lightly flour your surface and roll out your dough to about 1/8 inch, or as thin as you can get it.)
- Spoon about 1/2 tbsp of filling onto your pasta dough sheets spacing them apart to make square ravioli shapes.
- Dab water around the edges of the filling and place another rolled sheet of your pasta dough on top. Pressing down to seal edges.
- Cut into square ravioli shapes using a knife or pizza cutter. Using a floured fork gently press down around the entire edge of the ravioli and place on a floured baking pan. Repeat with the rest of your dough.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water for 3-5 mins or until tender.
- Make the garlic butter sauce, melt the butter in large pan, add garlic and cook for 1 min, or until fragrant. Add your cooked ravioli, toss gently to combine.