Vegan Kale & Roasted Garlic Lasagna
Lasagne originated in Italy during the Middle Ages and have traditionally been ascribed to the city of Naples. The first recorded recipe was set down in the early 14th-century Liber de Coquina (The Book of Cookery). It bore only a slight resemblance to the later traditional form of lasagne, featuring a fermented dough flattened into thin sheets (lasagne), boiled, sprinkled with cheese and spices, and then eaten with a small pointed stick.
Warm up your kitchen with this amazing 100% plant-based lasagna featuring a vegan Béchamel sauce, ricotta and cheesy layers of kale and roasted garlic.
- 1 head of garlic
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 12 oz extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 head of your roasted garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 3 tbsp NOOCH IT! Cashew Grated Cheeze
- 6 tbsp vegan margarine/butter
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups unsweet coconut milk from carton or non-dairy milk
- 1/2 head of your roasted garlic cloves mashed with a fork
- 1/2 cup NOOCH IT! Cashew Grated Cheeze
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 5 cups of frozen chopped kale (defrosted)
- 1 box of no-boil lasagna noodles (Or 9 noodles)
Kale & Lasagna
- Cut the top off the head of garlic to expose the cloves and drizzle with a couple tsp of olive oil.
- Wrap in foil and bake at 400F for 40 mins or until cloves are soft and brown.
- Let cool for a couple of minutes then squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins or use a knife to cut around each clove.
- Puree all above ingredients for the ricotta in a food processor until well combined and the texture looks like ricotta cheese.
- You will know it’s done when you can press the ricotta mixture into a ball with your hands. Set aside while you make the béchamel sauce.
- Add vegan butter to a large frying pan and let it melt over medium high heat, stir in flour, cook for 1 min.
- Slowly whisk in the coconut milk, whisking constantly to get rid of any lumps. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 mins, or until it thickens.
- Remove from heat and add your, mashed roasted garlic, NOOCH IT!, red pepper flakes, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Thin with extra non-dairy milk or water if it gets too thick.
- Preheat oven to 400F, grease a 9 x 13 glass oven safe baking dish.
- To assemble your lasagna, layer 1/4 of the béchamel sauce on the bottom of your dish. Make sure the whole bottom the dish is covered with sauce or else the noodles will not cook evenly.
- Next, place a layer of lasagna noodles on top. Next, spread 1/3 of tofu ricotta, sprinkle with 1/3 of kale.
- Repeat with another two layers of béchamel, lasagna, tofu ricotta, and kale. Finishing with a layer of béchamel sauce on top.
- Place your lasagna on a baking sheet and cover with tin foil and bake for 30 mins.
- Uncover and bake for another 10-15 mins or until top begins to brown.
- Let cool for 30 mins before cutting. Serve with extra NOOCH IT!.
Hello comfort food meets plants! This amazing vegan recipe can be enjoyed at a gathering, with family and friends, or as a great meal prep for the whole week. Bon appétit!